by CJ Lopez
Let's all take time to appreciate the moon.
Today's Monday and the universe is sparkling above us.
Only few are lucky to have been blessed with the scene.
A magnificent look of what life is.
This life is our galaxy.
Some shines like a star,
A planet of possibilities maybe.
Some are just like the moon,
Who can't illuminate by himself.
Who can't bring light as always to many.
But what makes it special,
Is its wonders and mysteries.
by CJ Lopez
Two roads diverged in a wood
One is the path of many,
The other is uncertain.
They say life is worth risking,
And the heart is our choice.
I stood there thinking.
What will be the right choice?
The way of people who are sure
Or the way that still needs to discover.
I neglected the many.
I took the road of nowhere.
The path that challenges my capacity,
To know what's beyond my world.
The road where mysteries are to be unfold.
The road where brave souls go.
Two roads diverged in a wood.
I took the one less traveled by,
Now I'm lost.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Born William Sidney Porter, this master of short stories is much better known under his pen name “O. Henry.” He was born September 11, 1862 in N. Carolina. He has become a symbol to represent a recognizable species of short story writing. He wrote nearly three hundred stories. Most of O. Henry` s were translated into foreign languages. His stories are very American in language. And one of the most popular and famous story is “The Skylight Room”
Introduction of the rooms and Miss Leeson, without a choice, buys the “skylight room” with money she can afford.
Meets Billy Jackson the Star and fellow lodgers
Job becomes scarce so Miss Leeson goes to her room without food, and dying from starvation
Fellow lodgers finds her in her room and call an ambulance.
In typical O. Henry fashion, we get the surprise ending – gets treatment from a doctor named William Jackson.
New York City probably in early 1990s.
- Ms. Leeson
- Mrs. Parker
- Mr. Hoover
- Ms. Longnecker
- Mr. Skidder
- William Jackson
POINT of VIEW
- MAN Vs. CIRCUMSTANCES (Dominant)
- MAN Vs. SOCIETY
- Billy Jackson – her hopes and dreams
- The skylight room – a metaphor of her life
The reality of life and our hopes
“No matter what situation you are in, you should always have an optimistic heart”
- Lambrequin- a short piece of decorative jewelry hanging above a door.
- Smite – strike with a firm blow
- Cicerone- a tour guide, esp. one who explains antiquities
- Contemptuous- showing contempt
- Roguish- characteristic of a dishonest and unprincipled person
- Tocsin- an alarm bell or signal
- Cabalistic- referring to meanings of esoteric and mythical interpretations
- Whimsical- playfully quaint or fanciful
- Implacable- unstopable
- Corpulence- the state of being fat